7 Ways to Get Rid of Painful Back Spasms
Back spasms are common and painful. If you have them, you want to get rid of them, but how? Relax.
Truly, relaxing is the best way to stop a spasm. It can be difficult to do, let me help with ideas of how to do just that.
But first, what is a muscle spasm? It comes on when a muscle is overworked, stressed, or misused. It is the job of a muscle to contract, that’s what it does. Therefore, when it is stressed out it contracts.
Think of how you feel when you step out into the cold without a coat on. Your muscles tighten up, right? That’s the same as saying your muscles contract. If they stay in that condition very long it hurts. Pain is our bodies way of telling us something is wrong. Therefore, if you listen to your body, you get out of the cold.
So, a muscle spasm is the same thing, minus the cold. Most muscle pain is caused by strain to the muscle; overuse, misuse, or stress. Therefore, your muscles are telling you to stop what is causing the pain.
How do you stop that? Relax, here are some suggestions of how:
- It’s okay to say no
- Let them, or teach them to, do it themselves
- Let’s say you get stressed about being late
- The person who wants you to go with them are notoriously late
- Save the stress and go alone, go with someone else, or don’t go
- Find your happy place and go there
- Think of Hawaii, Jamaica, Guam, Italy…
- Go sit in that overstuffed comfy chair downstairs
- Take a bath, yes, even real men take baths.
- Add Epsom Salt for added benefits (upcoming blog)
- Take a walk
- It doesn’t have to be in the woods or on the beach, down the block is fine
- Pray, meditate, zone out
- Whatever it is you are comfortable with that takes your mind off stressful things
- Most massage is beneficial to spasms because it induces relaxation
- Massage should not be painful, again, pain tells us something is wrong
- If your therapist is leaving you in pain for days, there’s something wrong
- Do something besides what is causing the stress
- Identify what the cause is and take measures to stop/reverse it
- Seek out a good psychotherapist if needed, talking to an unbiased person helps greatly to see the ‘truth’ of the situation
For more about pain click here.